BRASILIA Nike Air Max 95 2019 Pas Cher , May 20 (Xinhua) -- Brazilian President Michel Temer on Saturday demanded that the Supreme Court (STF) investigation against him be dropped and claimed that an audio recording implicating him in bribery had been doctored.
Temer spoke from the presidential palace in response to accusations against him, made when Joesley Batista, owner of meatpacking group, JBS, turned over a tape to authorities in which Temer can seemingly be heard signing off on bribing former Speaker Eduardo Cunha in exchange for his silence.
The conversation took place between Temer and Batista on March 7, with Supreme Court Justice Edson Fachin ordering an investigation against the president on Thursday.
On Saturday, Temer said the recording, which was released to the public this week, had been manipulated to harm him and criticized the STF for not verifying its authenticity before calling for an investigation.
"This clandestine recording was manipulated and doctored with clearly ulterior motives," he stated. "It was included in the investigation, without an adequate inquiry into those trying to create a deception and causing a severe crisis in Brazil. Therefore, we are calling today on the STF to suspend this proposed inquiry until (the recording) has been clearly identified."
Temer also attacked Batista for having travelled to the U.S. before the revelations were made and accused him of selling JBS stocks ahead of the scandal, knowing the company's stocks would fall once the news broke.
"JBS made millions and millions of dollars in less than 24 hours. This man (Batista) received billions in public loans to develop his business, hurt Brazil and the Brazilian people, and is now in the United States," claimed the president.
Temer further claimed that there were clear differences between Batista's testimony to investigators and the contents of the recording.
Addressing the claim that he paid off Cunha to keep him silent, Temer emphasized that he had played no such role.
"I did not buy anybody's silence, I did not obstruct justice. There was false testimony given to the court," he said.
On Thursday, the day after the news broke, Temer gave a determined speech, in which he refused to resign, saying he had done nothing wrong and that his government had reversed the fortunes of the Brazilian economy.
Xi calls for public security forces to be loyal to CPC
China, Philippines agree to further improve bilateral ties
China Culture and Tourism Festival held in Toronto
Objects from Belgravia home of Lord Ballyedmond presented in Sotheby
China succeeds in mining combustible ice in South China Sea
In pics: Bangkok Seashell Museum
In pics: road on cliffs of Taihang Mountain in N China
In pics: Dongjiang Lake in C China's Hunan
TEHRAN, May 21 (Xinhua) -- An Iranian army general on Sunday refuted the comments by the U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson for urging a policy shift in Tehran's conduct during President Hassan Rouhani's second term, Tasnim news agency reported.
The only way to peace in the Middle East is a pull-out of the U.S. forces from the region, Deputy Chief of Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces Brig. Gen. Massoud Jazayeri said.
During his Saudi Arabia visit, Tillerson said Saturday that he hopes the re-election of Rouhani would prompt changes to Tehran's approach to "terrorism and human rights."
Tillerson urged Iran's re-elected president to dismantle the alleged "network of terrorism" and to end ballistic missile tests.
He made the remarks at a news conference with Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir in Riyadh.
In the reaction, Jazayeri urged the United States for what he called an end to the "aggressive and terrorist operations against independent states" by the assistance of "reactionary regimes" in the region.
Besides, no factor could hinder Iran's defense programs, he said, describing the boost of Iran's missile defense systems as a top priority for the Islamic republic.
Weekly choices of Xinhua photos (May 15 - May 21)
Pigs raising cooperative founded in Yunnan to alleviate poverty
People take part in anti-U.S. protest in Sanaa, Yemen